Home Care in Carmichael, CA – September 27th is Family Health & Fitness Day USA
This celebration on September 27th is an event for families and held on Saturdays. It’s always the last Saturday in September. The purpose is to promote family involvement in physical activities which is one of the goals outlined in the U.S. Surgeon General’s Report on Physical Activity and Health. There will be local organizations in almost every community throughout the nation that will be hosting health and fitness events for families in parks, schools, malls, health clubs, community halls, hospitals and other public places of gathering.
The events will be largely based on the interests of families in each local community. There may be health information workshops, open houses with games, information and fun events, walking, low-impact aerobics and more. All activities will be non-competitive and will strive to involve the entire family no matter the age of the participants.
Several communities who have hosted events as part of this health and fitness promotion have noticed families becoming enthusiastic about increasing physical activity and being part of an event that promotes good physical health.
Fitness information for seniors
- We need to stay active at every stage of life
- An active lifestyle is a boost to senior health because it can help prevent chronic disease
- Regular exercise helps reduce the pain of arthritis
- Exercise improves balance and flexibility
- Exercising helps to increase endurance and strength
- Regular physical activity helps older adults stay healthier longer
- See the website for the National Institute on Aging for more information about the health benefits for exercise for seniors
- Seniors should check with their doctor before starting their new exercise routine
Fitness ideas for seniors
Some forms of exercise are more beneficial for seniors than others. There are some that have less risk of injury. Here are some interesting choices your senior parent can choose from:
- Low-impact aerobics is good for burning off calories and isn’t hard on the joints. They can start with some 5-minute cardio sessions and move up to 30 minutes of aerobic activity.
- Strength training and squats for building muscles.
- Arm raises working up to arm raises with weights to build upper body strength. Include side arm raises. Look for exercise routines to follow online.
- Bicep curls or arm curls with hand weights or gallon jugs of water. Build up slowly.
- Modified push-ups or wall push-ups do a set of 10, rest and repeat with another set.
- Leg raises for thigh, hip, buttocks and lower back muscle strengthening. Use a chair for balance while raising one leg.
How home care services can help
Having a caregiver will help your elderly loved one stay encouraged about participating in her exercises on a daily basis. Her caregiver can encourage and support her as well as help her with other things she may need.
If you or an aging loved one needs home care in Carmichael, CA area, remember Senior Home Care Services for all services needed. Call us at (916) 514-7006 for more information.