Senior Care in Roseville CA
One of the primary goals of your senior care efforts for your elderly parent is to keep their home clean. This is not only about making sure that their living environment is comfortable and welcoming, but also to help keep them as healthy as possible. A home that is not thoroughly clean can harbor a variety of germs, bacteria, dust, dander, and other contaminants that put your loved one at greater risk of illness, infection, and allergic reaction.
When it comes to cleaning for an elderly adult, it is important to choose your cleaning products and techniques as carefully as possible. While in the past you might have automatically reached for those big bottles of brightly colored chemical cleaners to scrub down the home, this may not be the best choice. Studies have shown that those cleaners may pose serious dangers to both humans and animals living in the home.
Some of the dangers associated with these chemical cleaners include:
- Eye damage
- Chemical burns
- Sinus irritation and respiratory problems
- Potential for poisoning
- Increased risk for cancer over the long term
- Watery eyes
- Upset stomach from breathing in the fumes
Fortunately those cleaners are not your only option for keeping your parent’s home smelling fresh, looking its best, and staying healthy. There are many completely natural options that do not pose these dangers but offer exceptional results. Try some of these methods for creating a home that is naturally clean and healthy throughout your senior care journey:
- Baking soda and vinegar are a true power team when it comes to cleaning. Use this exceptional duo to deep clean drains, surfaces, and even spots on carpets. Add lemon juice for even more power
- Baking soda and essential oils are great for killing odors in the bathroom and laundry area. Combine baking soda, water, and your favorite essential oils until they create the texture of wet sand. Pack them together in shallow cookie or muffin top pans and allow them to dry. Tuck one of these cakes behind the toilet to absorb moisture and odors and spread a light scent, or crumble it into your laundry for a fresher clean
- Showers can get grimy quickly and harbor many germs and growths including mold and mildew. Reduce the need to scrub frequently by using this natural shower spray. Simply spritz it on after showering to inhibit the growth of germs, bacteria, mold, and mildew. The tea tree oil has natural antibacterial and anti-growth properties and will leave the room with a bright, clean scent.
What You Will Need
- 2 teaspoons of liquid dish soap
- 2 cups of distilled white vinegar
- 20 drops of tea tree oil
- A spray bottle
What to Do
- Over the sink or bathtub, carefully add the dish soap to the empty spray bottle
- Add the white vinegar to the spray bottle slowly, making sure not to shake the bottle much
- Add the tea tree oil carefully to the bottle
- Close the top of the bottle tightly
- Shake the bottle vigorously
- Spray once or twice toward the drain to test
- Use once a day after using the shower for best results
If you or an aging loved one needs senior care in Roseville, CA, remember Senior Home Care Services. Call us at (916) 514-7006 for more information.